Wednesday 12 January 2011

Taking the bull by the horns

It's amazing what a difference a day makes. I woke up this morning reluctantly peeling back the sheets to be greeted by the cold air - get prepped for work, kiss the wife as normal and begrudgingly leave for a day in the office. As usual I'm greeted by the blank stares and emotionless faces of the commuters on the tube so I crank up the volume on my mobile and listen to some Prodigy and whatever else that happens to be on it to fire myself up for the next few hours.
Get to the office eventually and the thought occurs to me as I check my email on my mobile for the last time before 9am kicks off, "I sure hope I get something from some of the recent applications I sent off!"
The day drags on until around lunch time when I spy that I've got some emails - one asking me to go into an interview at no notice (why do they always assume I've got no commitments?) and another interested in what I can do for them. I make the time to quickly respond before calling my wife and catch up on the important stuff.
A person who I'd dealt with yesterday for losing her 20 year old cat called in to say that she'd found the cat! My reaction was utter joy as you could tell this pet was a real member of the family and I know from experience when a cat goes out and doesn't go back, you always fear the worst.
Funnily enough she asked me to change the Lost Cat advert she'd been looking to place to a huge thank you to the person who found her pet, the neighbours for putting up with her badgering them and the community for being so supportive! I was really amazed that someone would take the time to do something like this and it put what really matters suddenly come into focus.
After that of course the powers that be decide to implement more sanctions and put more effort in bringing down the spirits of the office and I did my best to keep my head down and make it through to the final whistle.
Checking my mail again I discover my wife's been beavering away finding me other jobs worth applying for and when I get home I am straight into applying to them as soon as I've finished my tea and taking a break to do our workout at the gym.
It's so scary how quickly the time flies by and before I know it, we're already tomorrow and I'm sure after an all too short sleep, another eventful day ensues. I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment